Joomla is a Content Management System (CMS)
Basically a Content Management System (CMS) is a web based software program that allows you to edit, create and extend your own website. It separates design and layout from content, making adding a new page as simple as:
- Writing a document in a software program like Notepad++ and saving it
- Going to a menu screen and click ‘New’, then click a browse button to select a type of menu item – similar to the browse system for an attachment in emails
- Give the menu item a title
- Still within the menu item, browse to find the article you created in step one – exactly the same as attachments in emails or any other file browse system
- A one click option to select either a top level menu item (parent), or second/third level menu item (child) – displayed under the parent
- Click ‘Save’ – that’s it.
You have now created an article and linked it to a menu.
Joomla is Open Source Software
Basically, it’s free. The core software is free under the ‘GNU General Public License’. The Joomla Project is a community-based project with contributors from all over the world working in many different capacities. For more details visit:-
Joomla! is one of the most powerful Content Management Systems on the planet, powering approximately 3% of sites on the web. It is used all over the world for everything from simple websites to complex corporate applications. Ebay use it for their internal training services, as do Ikea for several different services most of which are customer facing, McDonald’s use it for some customer facing websites and TESCO use the system for Intranets and training applications.
Joomla is easy to install, simple to manage, reliable, and offers the perfect balance of power, flexibility and ease of use. With thousands of developers around the world, this none proprietary system can be further developed easily by many professionals should you have issues with your current developer.